June 26, 2017

Time For You To Be Heard: Update

Many of you will remember my recent post declaring that it’s time for you to be heard regarding the closing of Kennedy High School.  Well, you all have generated a tremendous amount of feedback and I thank you all for that.  I appreciate the passionate participation that you have all provided on this issue.  As a result, I wanted to provide a small update to let you know that that this feedback is something that I take very seriously.  I’m a Kennedy alum myself.

Efforts have now been made to contact both Taylor School District Superintendent, Ben Williams and athletic director, Loren Ristovski.  I’ve even posted links to two of my previous stories concerning Kennedy to show how much the local community is affected by the school closing.  Stay tuned for more to come regarding my efforts to get some answers that you seek.  You heard it from me, Seth Walker.

10 Comments on “Time For You To Be Heard: Update

Kat
June 26, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Why wouldn’t they entertain tearing down 6th grade academy and Kennedy and build on that site a larger high school and move all to that school. Combine some of the middle schools into Truman? Sure it’s not cost effective, but a thought

Richard cooper
June 26, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Are there plans still too close Kennedy High School down what are they going to do with the kids that are going there now

Seth Walker
June 27, 2017 at 12:55 am

Kenney will close down. From my understanding, next year’s junior and seniors will finish out at Kennedy, while the freshmen and sophomores will all be going to Truman.

David
June 27, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Truman is a much newer school and has room for all the students at both schools. This will save the community a lot of money that they don’t currently have, and will bring the students together because in 4 years time there won’t be any Kennedy students to divide the new school, they will all be together as one.

Deanna
June 30, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Truman is only four years newer and has its own problems.

Joy
June 30, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Eight years.

Ron
June 30, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Truman is bigger, one level (better handicap access) and way less building issues. I for one with a 2016 grad and a daughter entering 9th grade believe this is the BEST solution at this time. Pooling resources, not sending good to keep two half full schools operating…. I hope the long term goal is a new mega school.

Katie
July 1, 2017 at 4:26 pm

There wont be any Kennedy students to cause a divide? What a loaded statement.

FYI, there wont be any Truman students either. They are changing name, colors and mascot.

Ed
July 1, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Next year it will be 10th 11th and 12th grade

Nancy joyner
July 2, 2017 at 8:39 am

Don’t understand the angst at closing a school. Cutbacks must be made seeing as a bond issue hasn’t passed in Taylor since the dawning of time. Just as in your home lives when income reduces cuts must be made. Closing a half full school only makes sense. Yes, I went to Kennedy as well. But it’s just a building. Memories are within me and the thousands of others who passed through those doors. Were it up to me, I would cut the athletic program. Amazing the amount of money that would save. Much more than closing Kennedy. And that money ONLY benefits a handful in high school while thousands in lower grades foot the bill. Go back to pay-to-play. Problem solved.